American democracy is one of the most advanced in the world. But the electoral procedures in the country were formed quite a long time ago and have their own specifics. If you are interested in American politics, you should consider USA election betting.
US Legislation – Important Facts for Betting
The presidential and parliamentary elections in the United States are of interest to people all over the world since global trends largely depend on the development of the economy and politics in this country. What do you need to know about the American elections in order to bet consciously and rationally?
USA Election Betting Presidential elections
- Elections are held every 4 years on November 1st. A clearly set date allows you to create a bookmaker’s line in advance.
- Voters do not elect the president directly. There are a certain number of electors from each state, who eventually form a college of 537 members. The candidate who receives 270 electoral votes becomes president.
- Winner-take-all applies. This means that you do not need to gain an absolute majority of votes to win. It is enough to have a relative majority in comparison with competitors.
- Not just the president is elected, but together with the vice president.
- Parliament is bicameral. Consists of the House of Representatives and the Senate.
- The House of Representatives has an election every two years. The 435 seats represented in it are by state, taking into account the actual population of each.
- Senators are elected for 6 years in the number of 100 people (2 from each state).
- Elections to the Senate take place in conjunction with a vote of deputies to the House of Representatives. But every 2 years only a third of the senators are re-elected.
Peculiarities of political betting in the USA
There are a number of features that are characteristic of the presidential and parliamentary USA betting elections in America:
- Bipartisanship. It is not enshrined in legislation and candidates can be nominated from other political forces. But traditionally, Americans vote for representatives from the giant parties.
- Orientation towards presidential elections. The United States is a Presidential republic. In years when no presidential elections are held, turnout for congressmen is very low.
- Primary system. The November nationwide vote is only the final stage. Prior to that, voters choose nominees from each party.
- The traditional distribution of party sympathies by state.
Types of bets on elections in the USA
Taking into account the above features of political betting in the United States, bookmakers form a wide line of bets. The most popular types of bets:
- on the winner (in general, by state, at certain stages of the primaries);
- the percentage that an individual candidate or party will collect;
- whether an independent candidate will run in the elections or will be removed in advance;
- whether a particular celebrity will get a nomination (for example, Kanye West in 2020);
- what percentage each of the parties will pick up in a particular state;
- the number of seats in the House of Representatives and Senate for each party.
US election bookmakers
For Russian players, the problem is that many legal bookmakers simply do not accept bets on non-sporting events. And those who represent the line of political betting make it very limited. For example, at Betcity they only accept bets on the winner of the presidential race.
Therefore, if a person is interested in overseas politics and wants to place a bet, he will have to use the services of international bookmakers: bk Mostbet mirror, 1xBet, William Hill, etc.
Interesting facts about US election betting
There was a big curiosity in the 2016 presidential elections. The fact is that Donald Trump won thanks to a lucky coincidence. The votes were distributed among the states so that he received a majority of electors with a minority of voters. This is not a unique situation. In 2000, approximately also the Republican Bush defeated the Democrat Gore.
But a funny fact was that bookmaker Paddy Power, without waiting for the final summing up, paid the winnings to the players who had bet on Hillary Clinton.